Friday, March 30, 2007

Ten Best Top 9 Performances of All Time



Here we go again...on to the Ten Best Top 9 performances of all time.

This list actually surprised me more than any of the previous ones, as it includes performances from several contestants (Constantine, Kellie, Ace) who I would not necessarily consider myself a huge fan of. It's always fun when a contestant surprises you and puts forward a performance you didn't see coming. Apparently, the Top 9 is a round full of such surprises.

Ranking the 10th Place Finishers
Ten Best Top 10 Performances of All Time

Ten Best Top 11 Performances of All Time
Ten Best First Finals Performances
Ten Best Semifinals Performances of All Time

1. Jennifer Hudson, "Circle of Life" (SF: #8)
I loved Jennifer from the moment I laid eyes on her in her initial audition, but through the semifinals and the first few rounds of the finals, she seemed to be struggling to fit her huge vocals with a performance style that worked on the small screen. With this astounding performance, however, she showed exactly what she is capable of, transforming an already moving song into a soaring anthem. Showing dazzling poise and impeccable vocal abilities, Jennifer stole the show with this performance, impressing Elton John, the judges, and the audience alike. She may have won the Oscar for Dreamgirls, but as far as I'm concerned this was her first really award-worthy performance. Spectacular.

2. George Huff, "Take Me to the Pilot"
After a bit of a rough start to the finals, George came roaring back with this joyful, soulful, and playful performance of the Elton John tune -- a performance that was so full of life it was nearly impossible not to enjoy. This is easily George's strongest performance, as well as the best male performance of that year's competition.

3. Constantine Maroulis, "My Funny Valentine" (Top 12: #10, Top 10: #4)
Let's just say I don't consider myself Constantine's biggest fan -- yet, here he is for the third time on one of my "Ten Best" lists. I guess I have to acknowledge that I enjoyed his performances more than I thought I did! This one may have been his very best, as he got to show off his musical theater training and really give a classy vocal performance of the beautiful standard. It may not have quite the level of vocal sophistication that Melinda Doolittle brought to it this season, but it was pretty dang good.

4. Clay Aiken, "Everlasting Love" (SF: #4, Top 12: #3, Top 11: #2)
By this point in the competition it was abundantly clear that Clay could sing just about anything, but when he put his stellar vocals together with a fun, uplifting song, the effect was never more enjoyable. Making it look effortless, Clay once again wow'ed his fans with this fantastic performance.

5. Latoya London, "Someone Saved My Life Tonight" (SF: #1, Top 11: #10)
Latoya could hit a series of high notes to bring home a song better than almost any contestant in Idol history, and she showed off those skills on this soaring version of Elton John's ballad. Her final notes are simply breathtaking.



6. Ace Young, "Tonight I Wanna Cry"
Again, I am as shocked as many of you probably are to see Ace's name on this list -- let's just say I really was not a fan of the pretty-boy back in Season 5. However, his tender and well-sung version of the Keith Urban song really was quite excellent and rather moving-- it was the best fit between singer and song that Ace found during the entire competition.

7. Nikko Smith, "One Hand, One Heart"
The theme for the Top 9 during Season 4 was Broadway, and while Carrie and company chose mostly boring standards from 50's musicals, Nikko managed to put a contemporary and soulful spin on this beautiful ballad from "West Side Story." This was my favorite performance from Nikko -- unfortunately it was also the performance that got him voted out.

8. Katharine McPhee, "Bringing out the Elvis" (SF: #10, Top 11: #6)
I wasn't sure how Katharine was going to fare during country week in Season 5 -- she didn't exactly have much of a twang in her voice, so song choice was crucial for Ms. McPhee. In wisely choosing this soul/country tune, she brought some sass and attitude to the proceedings, and proved that she's capable of singing just about anything.



9. Kellie Pickler, "Fancy"
First off, I must admit that I am a huge sucker for this song -- the tale about a girl who is encouraged by her mother to be a hooker has a soft spot in my heart, and Reba McEntire's version is one of my favorite tunes. And while Kellie certainly doesn't reach the level of Ms. Reba in this performance, she showed some spunk and pluck, and a surprisingly competent singing voice, in this performance. It was "country week," so she should have done well -- and, for once, she did.

10. Trenyce, "I'm Every Woman" (Top 12: #6)
I would like to propose that Whitney Houston's "I'm Every Woman" and "I Have Nothing" be permanently retired from the competition. Trenyce was one of the first to sing the song on the show, and although Vonzell Solomon would end up singing it better a couple of season's later, I must commend Trenyce for her very entertaining version. Always in the shadow of Ruben, Clay, and Kim L., with this performance Trenyce found a way to make herself stand out.

Ranking the 10th Place Finishers
Ten Best Top 10 Performances of All Time

Ten Best Top 11 Performances of All Time
Ten Best First Finals Performances
Ten Best Semifinals Performances of All Time

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love reading your lists every week! Do you actually remember them all this well or have them on tape or something? I do good to remember what they sang last week!

It is fun to see some of the singers I'd forgotten about (Nikko) and to see such high praise for some of my faves (LaToya).

Anonymous said...

Your lists are great! Please continue to make them! :D This site is now my homepage!

PS: I just want to say that Ace was from season 5 right?.

Anonymous said...

I also love reading your lists every week. You may have the episodes on tape, but if not, youtube is surely a big help! It is for me with past performances. There's one performance though that I think should be up there. Kimberley Locke's "It's Raining Men" is awesome! She sounds so great here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSqmRyy6PyA