Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Top 10 Performances: Blake Lewis

Blake with spiky hair or not-spiky hair? Hmmm -- I'm gonna go with spiky.

Blake beatboxing or singing it straight? Hmmm -- I like him mixing it up, leaving us wondering if he's gonna whip out his skills or not.

Blake's performance tonight (sans beatboxing)? Excellent.

It wasn't his best performance of the competition, or even the best performance of the night, but he wisely chose a song that fit perfectly into his vocal range, and he delivered a very convincing, enjoyable performance. While LaKisha and Melinda retread Donna Summers for the umpteenth time in this competition, I like that Blake continually chooses songs that have never been sung on the show before.

He's a breath of fresh air. And I, for one, hope Paula is right -- that we do see him in the finale.

GRADE: B+


1. Gina Glocksen
2. Blake Lewis
3. Melinda Doolittle
4. Jordin Sparks
5. Phil Stacey
6. LaKisha Jones
7. Chris Richardson
8. Haley Scarnato
9. Chris Sligh
10. Sanjaya Malakar

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I totally agree with your assessment. I love Blake and I, too, am sick of the Aretha, Donna Summer, and the other artists/songs that are replayed every single season.

I truly hope he makes it to the finale with Gina or Jordin because those are the only three contestants this season that I'd ever consider buying a CD from.