Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Idol Thoughts Rave: Amy Winehouse's "Back to Black"

Take two parts Joss Stone, mix with 3 parts Lauren Hill, add in a bit of Ella Fitzgerald and sprinkle a pinch of Janis Joplin on top, and you come up with Amy Winehouse, the British soul-ster who's debut album "Back to Black" is available in stores today. I was able to listen to an advance copy of the CD this past week, and I believe Winehouse, with her 60's- mod-meets-R&B style, has one of the most exciting new voices I've heard in quite some time. Lead-off single "Rehab," in which she sings "They tried to make go to rehab, I said no, no, no," is a funky, defiant tune that sounds like Erykah Badu covering "My Boyfriend is Back." The rest of the disc is just as entertaining...I can't recommend it highly enough.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear; I bought it today! I had never heard of Amy (except as the free single of the week a few weeks ago on iTunes) until I saw this amazing clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzRyF3ER3lA and had to know who sang it. Good to know the rest is as good!