Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Top 12 Performance: Blake Lewis

I think Blake Lewis is the fresh breath of air this competition needs. He is truly modern. He's musically savvy. He possesses a wide array of vocal skills. He can beatbox. And he's adorable.

The judges, on the other hand, seem hellbent on knocking his uniqueness right out of him.

Yes, its a vocal competition, I get it, and, truth be told, I agree with the judges that Blake's arrangement didn't show off his voice as well as it could have. But...it also felt unlike any performance I've ever seen on American Idol, and I think that's a good thing. I really hope he keeps thinking outside the box...the judges might not be ready for it, but I have a hunch that America is.

Grade: B+


My Rankings, from best to worst: (Click on a contestant's name to read more detailed comments on their performance)
1. Lakisha Jones
2. Melinda Doolittle
3. Blake Lewis
4. Jordin Sparks
5. Chris Richardson
6. Phil Stacey
7. Chris Sligh
8. Stephanie Edwards
9. Gina Glocksen
10. Haley Scarnato
11. Brandon Rogers
12. Sanjaya Malakar

No comments: