Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Top 10 Performances: Walking into Spiderwebs



(Click on any contestant's name to read a more detailed commentary on their performance)

Can someone please explain the logic behind this week's theme? Yes, I understand Gwen Stefani is the guest coach, so how about pop songs? Or songs currently on the radio? Or songs of the new millennium?

Nope, we get No Doubt songs, and songs by bands and artists who have "inspired" Gwen Stefani, such as Donna Summer, The Police, and The Cure. Restricting the theme in this way makes literally no sense. Congretulations Nigel and Ken, you have reached new levels of ineptitude.

Now, I love me some Gwen Stefani -- I've seen her VH1 Behind the Music about five times. But let's be clear -- when it comes to Idol guest coaches, Gwen Stefani ain't no Lulu and Peter Noone.

(Who thought those words would ever be uttered?)

It seems Gwen had barely had any interaction with the contestants, and she didn't have much substantive to say in her clips except "maybe he/she should sing the melody." We get it, Gwen, you're a huge fan of melody. Excellent.

And is it just me, or did she look a little embarrassed to be on the show? I'm just saying.

Okay, on to the performances. In compiling my list of Ten Best Top 10 Performances of All Time, it became clear to me that the Top 10 has not traditionally been a highlight of season's past. And after last week's season-best showing from the contestants, unfortunately tonight lived up to it's Top 10 predecessors.

There were some solid performances from front-runners LaKisha Jones and Melinda Doolittle, but both picked Donna Summer tunes (yawn!), and neither was able to inject enough originality to provide the spine-tingling effect both are capable of delivering. I'm going to chalk it up to the restrictive theme and hope they come back next week ready to really get down.



Blake Lewis left his spiky hair and his beatboxing skills at home but still sounded swell on The Cure's "Love Song." And while Simon accurately pointed out that Blake is the clear male frontrunner in the competition, he too lacked a little bit of the spark we've seen from him in weeks past. However, he is still bring a freshness and modernity to the competition that is unparalleled in Idol history, so for that reason alone I hope he continues to thrive in the competition.

While Jordin Sparks certainly did not embarrass herself on No Doubt's "Hey Baby," the song was so far from what we've come to expect from her that it was a bit jarring. While it was a bit of a letdown after last week's tour de force, Jordin did show that she is able to cope with the various themes being thrown at her, and that she deserves a healthy life in the competition.

Chris Richardson, still reeling from his Bottom 2 showing last week, made No Doubt's "Don't Speak" far more believable as an R&B flavored song than I thought possible, but he still seems to be lacking the fire of someone who really wants to win this competition. There's only so long he's going to survive on his cutie-patootie-ness -- but for this week, I'm guessing it'll be enough to get him through.

Chris Sligh and Haley Scarnato, meanwhile, took a few steps back from last week, and I wouldn't be surprised to see either one or both of them holding hands tomorrow night at 9:28. Chris butchered The Police's "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic" in ways I didn't even know were possible, but there was something appealing about him admitting point blank that he had done so. Haley, meanwhile, brought her legs back, but left her spark at home, giving a snooze-inducing rendition of "True Colors." Looks like those legs might be walkin' her right out of the competition.

Oh yes, Sanjaya. Sanjaya, Sanjaya, Sanjaya, who is practically making a mockery of the competition at this point. That hair? I mean, you have got to be kidding me. He fumbled the words, he looked totally awkward, his pitch was all over the place -- and did I mention the hair? I'm really not sure how much more of this kid I can take.


Which brings us to Phil Stacey and Gina Glocksen, who, for me, were the two biggest surprises of the night. Phil finally put all of the pieces together, pairing his impressive vocals with an appropriate song choice, and not flailing around like a fool on stage. Phil has never been one of my favorites, but I've got to give him his props tonight.

Gina, meanwhile, wisely toned it down a notch from her last two frantically bad showings, made a great song choice, and really felt her performance of "I'll Stand By You." And not only did she stay on pitch the entire time, her voice was actually quite pleasant to listen to. Shockingly, I think she was the best of the night.

So, there it is. I'm guessing the third person kicked off American Idol this season will come from a group that includes Haley Scarnato , Sanjaya, Chris Sligh, and, despite his improved performance, Phil. Check back at around 1PM tomorrow for my final prediction.

My Rankings:
(Click on any contestant's name to read a more detailed commentary on their performance)
1. Gina Glocksen
2. Blake Lewis
3. Melinda Doolittle
4. Jordin Sparks
5. Phil Stacey
6. LaKisha Jones
7. Chris Richardson
8. Haley Scarnato
9. Chris Sligh
10. Sanjaya Malakar

No comments: