Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Top 12 Performance: Jordin Sparks

If you had to guess which contestant would sing the only Diana Ross song ever to be featured in an animated movie, would anybody not choose Jordin?

Jordin sounds good, but the song is so treacly and bombastic that it's hard to really appreciate her vocal performance. I'm actually shocked by how strongly the judges praised her...as good as she was, I don't think she's anywhere near the league of Melinda and Kiki vocally, or Blake and Chris Sligh in terms of originality. "Absolutely have a shot at being in the Finals of this competition"? Simon, I think not.

I liked her, don't get me wrong, but I will welcome it as a pleasant surprise if she really does manage to turn this into a 3-girl race.

Grade: B+


My Rankings, from best to worst: (Click on a contestant's name to read more detailed comments on their performance)
1. Lakisha Jones
2. Melinda Doolittle
3. Blake Lewis
4. Jordin Sparks
5. Chris Richardson
6. Phil Stacey
7. Chris Sligh
8. Stephanie Edwards
9. Gina Glocksen
10. Haley Scarnato
11. Brandon Rogers
12. Sanjaya Malakar

No comments: