Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Top 12 Performance: Chris Sligh

I really admire what Chris is trying to do in this competition -- trying to bring an indie rock sensibility into the competition. And, like I said in my general recap, I am disappointed that the judges seem to be trying to dissuade the contestants from tinkering with the songs in an effort to make them more modern. I mean, if we wanted to see a night of boring covers of old song, we'd go to the local karaoke bar. Please.

Having said that, I just don't think this arrangement worked. I enjoyed parts of it, but ultimately the melody of "Endless Love" is what makes it "Endless Love," and without it the song had no build and sounded like a generic Coldplay ripoff. (I don't, however, think it was a "mess," as Randy suggested).

I hope he doesn't listen to the judges and become cookie-cutter, though. Bringing a little something different to the songs really isn't such a bad thing.

Grade: B


My Rankings, from best to worst: (Click on a contestant's name to read more detailed comments on their performance)
1. Lakisha Jones
2. Melinda Doolittle
3. Blake Lewis
4. Jordin Sparks
5. Chris Richardson
6. Phil Stacey
7. Chris Sligh
8. Stephanie Edwards
9. Gina Glocksen
10. Haley Scarnato
11. Brandon Rogers
12. Sanjaya Malakar

No comments: