Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Top 10 Performances: Jordin Sparks

I was about as surprised as Gwen Stefani when I heard that Jordin was singing No Doubt's "Hey Baby." Yes, I've been suggesting she steer clear of the sappy ballads for awhile now, but after her tour de force last week, I was really hoping she would deliver a solid follow-up performance and secure her spot in this season's front of the pack, and this very stylized song made me a bit nervous for Jordin.

And while it wasn't the unqualified success of last week, it wasn't half bad! Sure, it read it a bit false, or copycat-ish, like Simon said, and of course if Jordin ever makes an album (which, considering Bucky Covington's CD comes out next month, seems a good possibility), she is unlikely to sing a ska-punk-pop song like "Hey Baby," but she acquitted herself quite admirably. I'm starting to think Jordin is much less Lisa Tucker than I originally thought, and much more Diana Degarmo. And lest we forget, Ms. Degarmo made it to the finals.

Didn't like the outfit, though -- cute idea, but not flattering.

GRADE: B+


1. Gina Glocksen
2. Blake Lewis
3. Melinda Doolittle
4. Jordin Sparks
5. Phil Stacey
6. LaKisha Jones
7. Chris Richardson
8. Haley Scarnato
9. Chris Sligh
10. Sanjaya Malakar

No comments: