Saturday, March 10, 2007

There's No Crying at 'The Office'


Note: This post is not related to American Idol...from time to time, I'm going to throw in my thoughts on the world of television, movies, and theater. Hey, its my blog, I can do what I want!

So, I just finished watching Season 2 of 'The Office." I was very resistant to even watching the show in the first place, since I'm not a big fan of sitcoms, but from episode 1 this show won me over. I mean, its comic genius, it really is. Steve Carell is brilliant, and Rainn Wilson as Dwight is always good for a hoot and a holler. Among other things I'm kind of obsessed with Dwight and Angela's secret love affair, Michael's obsession with Ryan, and anything and everything that Stanley does. This show literally makes me laugh out loud.

But what really sucked me in was Jim and Pam (the effortlessly appealing Jenna Fischer and John Krasinski). Their journey, from innocent office-place flirtation to Jim's declaration of love and the instant-classic kiss at the end of Season 2's finale, was alternately giddiness-inducing and totally heartbreaking. Even though I had read ad nauseam about "the kiss," I was still totally blown away, and as tears welled up in Jim's eyes when he finally told Pam about his feelings for her, I found myself grabbing for a tissue as well. This is one of the best portrayals of will-they-or-won't-they that I have ever seen.

I haven't watched any of Season 3's episodes, but I'm sure complications are bound to rise up. But for now I'm in a bit of Jim-and-Pam heaven.

Side note: I know, I know, I need to watch the British version. Maybe I'll get around to it at some point. But for now, I'm so ensconced in the US branches of Dunder Miflin that I don't want anything to taint that. Sue me.


No comments: