Friday, March 30, 2007

Rocky Gets KO'ed: Survivor 3/29



If you read my thoughts on last week's episode of Survivor, then you know I am not sorry to have seen Rocky get shown the door on tonight's episode. He had become pretty unbearable over the past few weeks, and he didn't even perform particularly well at the challenges, so it will not be much of a loss for the Ravu tribe, or for my viewing experience.

It was good to see Ravu win their first ever challenge, though, since it was getting pretty redundant watching Moto win everything. Even Jeff Probst admits that this season is seriously lacking in drama due to the haves vs. have nots scenario. Because they've never been to tribal council I still feel like I know nothing about original Moto members Boo, Stacy, and Cassandra.

But I did feel like I got to know other players much better in this episode -- an episode I think was actually the most enjoyable of the season so far. Lisi adds a much different element to the Ravu dynamic, and Edgar and Alex both seem like very reasonable, likeable guys. I'm still not sold on Dreamz or Mookie, but perhaps with Rocky gone I will see them in a different light.

I love the Yau Man/Earl partnership, and it's adorable how Yau Man has a little man-crush on Earl (and, apparently, his newly found Immunity Idol, which I was afraid he might start french kissing). They are an odd pair (Yau Man adorably called Earl a "big strong black man"), perhaps the oddest since Richard Hatch and Rudy back in Season 1, so it'll be interesting to see how their relationship, and their shared use of the Idol, plays out. Earl seems like a really good guy -- he's funny, he's level-headed, and he seems intelligent. He's my pick to take the whole thing.

Hands down the best moment of the show, however, was Michelle falling off of the platform during the immunity challenge. Comic genius. In fact, I am laughing as I write this. Of course, had she been seriously injured it wouldn't have been nearly as funny, but it happened so suddenly, and she let out the funniest laugh after it happened, and no one addressed it -- comic genius, I say.

Oh, and Rocky is on the jury? Meaning there are going to be 12 jurors this year? Should be quite a finale...

No comments: