Monday, March 12, 2007

Monday Morning Musings: Zodiac, Amazing Race, Grease, J-Hud

- I saw David Fincher's new film Zodiac, starring Mark Ruffalo, Jake Gyllenhaal and Robert Downey Jr, over the weekend. I'm always game for a good psychological thriller, I like Fincher's Se7en and Fight Club very much, and I'm a big fan of all three actors, so I had high hopes for the film, even though I knew it was a butt-numbing 2 hours and 40 minutes. However, while the movie definitely features some creepy, surprising moments and all of the actors do subtle, nuanced work, the film as a whole really didn't work for me. As much a tale about the detectives and journalists' obsession with the Zodiac killer as it is about the killings themselves, I thought it lacked a strong enough focus and dramatic thrust to warrant its very long running time. I'm betting the non-fiction book Zodiacby the real Robert Graysmith is a far more interesting read than the film is a viewing experience.

- I have a confession to make...I have loved Rob Mariano since the first time he was on Survivor. Amber, well, I could take her or leave her, but I think Rob is a brilliant reality show gameplayer, he's funny as hell, and I find him, dare I say, quite sexy (I'm a sucker for a Boston accent). He's also, unfortunately, arrogant, manipulative and overconfident, and it was those sterling qualities that led to his and Amber's demise on The Amazing Race. I am sorry to see them go, especially since it was endlessly entertaining watching the other Race-ers fester and complain as Rob and Am-buh swept the prizes the first three works straight. Alas, another chapter on Romber's Reality Tour comes to an end. Look for Rob & Amber: Coping With an Eighth Place Finish on CBS during May sweeps.

- Last night, after yet another cringe-inducing episode of Grease: You're The One That I Want, I realized that this show actually makes me a little embarrassed to be a fan of Broadway musicals. I mean, not only is it terribly produced (terrible costumes, illogical song choices, inept hosts), but the hopefuls don't even possess much talent. Since my "favorite" Danny (Chad) got voted off (and I use the word "favorite" very loosely), I guess if I had to choose a Danny and Sandy from the bunch I'd go with Max (who is so much more a Doody than a Danny) and Laura. But Kathleen Marshall and David Ian have got to be sweatin' in their boots right about now, because I can't imagine there's a ton of people sitting at home thinking, "Please, let me pay $110 to go see any one of these people in Grease." If those people do exist, I'm certainly not one of them.

- Finally, Jennifer Hudson picked up yet another award this weekend, winning the Soul Train Award's Sammy Davis Jr. Prize for Entertainer of the Year. Think she even noticed with all the other accolades she's gotten in the past few months? Geez, share the wealth Jennifer!

No comments: