Thursday, September 20, 2007

Big Brother's Amber Responds to Anti-Semitic Comments

She's been out of the sequester house for about 2 days now, and Big Brother contestant Amber is ready to respond to the uproar that occurred when she made some anti-semitic comments in the house.

In an interview with RealityNewsOnline.com, Amber said the following:

"I made a comment when I was upset with Eric – I made it about Jewish people and people from New York. I just want to tell the people I offended that I am very sorry. I did not mean to offend anybody and I was upset with Eric at the time. Being upset, people tend to say things they don’t mean. That came from a really bad place, and from the bottom of my heart, I am truly sorry – I send my apologies to anyone I offended. I don’t like to hurt people’s feelings. The words just came out and I was upset with Eric. I have friends that are Jewish and friends from New York. I am not prejudiced and I am truly truly truly sorry."

I do believe she's sorry, and I don't think Amber is a mean-spirited person, but is this a suitable explanation? It sounds suspiciously like the motives Mel Gibson gave for his own anti-semitic comments.

What do y'all think?

Click for more Big Brother

Click for This Week's Top 10 Posts

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the things we say when we are upset are likely the things that we mean most. It is at that time that the limits of civility wash away and true emotions are revealed. She may be sorry, but these are likely things that she really believes (whether she knows it or not).

Anonymous said...

I am in complete agreement with the above. It is when one is angry and upset that they tend to say those things they have always truly believed, but have held in (to keep peace, etc).

The true culprit, in this scenario, however, is Amber's mother, who in turn, has taught her daughters to think this way.

Bigotry is learned from parents.