Monday, September 10, 2007

I'm Not Mad at Big Brother's Jameka For Praying -- I'm Mad at CBS For Showing Us



Faith has been a big issue this season on Big Brother, and as it becomes more and more likely Jameka will be the houseguest eliminated tomorrow night, I'd like to reflect a bit on the way faith, and specifically Jameka's faith, was portrayed on the show this year.

From the very start of this season, Jameka made no effort to hide the fact that she is a deeply religious woman. She is certainly not the first devout Christian to be featured on reality television, and she wasn't even the only religious person on this season of Big Brother, but from the get-go CBS painted her as "the religious one." Think about it -- what do you really know about Jameka, other than that she is religious? Of course, it must be acknowledged that they were aided in this effort by Evel Dick, who took every opportunity he could to berate her for her faith.

Now, I am not particularly religious, but I can absolutely respect the fact that Jameka is. And, truth be told, if she needs to pray to get through her time in the unquestionably maddening Big Brother house, than by all means she should do whatever she needs to do. I take a bit of issue with her articulated notion that the game has already been decided by God, but if that is what helps get Jameka through the day, she certainly has the right to believe it.

What I do have a problem with, however, is CBS' insistence on showing her praying. Prayer, by definition, is a private communication between a person and whatever their idea of a higher power is. Yes, the whole point of Big Brother is that every move is being watched, but by repeatedly showing Jameka praying, they are damaging some of the sanctity of her prayer. Show it once -- fine. Twice -- okay. Almost every single episode? Not cool.

Prayer IS NOT performance.

Amber didn't seem to quite grasp this -- she would address God, in monologue form, while she was sitting in the Diary Room, so it became unclear whether she was praying to communicate with a higher power, or putting her "confessional comments" in the form of prayer for the viewers to see. Either way, it rubbed me the wrong way.

But Jameka has tried to maintain privacy in her prayer, and CBS steps on that every chance they can get. She doesn't get on a pulpit -- she escapes quietly to a bedroom, or to the corner of the yard. Not only does CBS allow Dick to berate Jameka for her religious beliefs, but they consistently air (on the tri-weekly television shows) Jameka's talks with God. Would it kill them to respect her, her faith, and the faiths of millions of Americans by giving her a bit of privacy?

Click for more Big Brother

Click for Today's Top 10 Posts

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you 100%. I thought it was tacky when they showed Jameka praying and even put subtitles of her exact words. Why did we need to so badly to hear exactly what she was saying to God??

The diary room sessions of Amber praying we also tacky. I had thought about it before, wondering - did she go in there wanting to pray, or did the producers tell her, "Why don't you pray for us on camera, Amber??"

Ugh.

Anonymous said...

I just want to say I agree

BBultimatefan said...

I totally agree, I left some feedback to CBS..

I asked them why they continue to mock Jameka when she prays or speaks about GOD?? No response of course..

I let them know that I have been watching BB since season 1, and I noticed that when Kaysar (one of my fav players) did his a.m. prayers, BB did not play Arabic chants, nor would I want them to, it would have been rude and disrepectful to Kaysar and other muslims, just exactly what CBS is being to Amercian christians, this will be my last season to watch BB.. Not only for their religious condemnation of Jameka, but also they sat back and let Jen (not one of my fav players, but I felt bad for her) be verbally and physically abused by ED....

Shame on you CBS...

Anonymous said...

I agree with the comments about CBS mocking Jameka...Was it just me or was all offended by the MUSIC they would play while showing her praying? As for Amber give me a freckin break 'god bless you god' =0 She so played Jameka with acting like she was religious she wasn't 'religious' the first couple of weeks.
As for the Danatos woohoo I love Dick I would love to hang with him..EXCEPT the disgusting spiting omg please.