Monday, August 20, 2007

The NY Times Is Not So Fond of the New Grease



If there was any doubt of the way I feel about Ben Brantley, the lead theater critic for the New York Times, my affection for the old stodger was confirmed in the first paragraph of his review of the new production of Grease, starring reality tv finds Max Crumm and Laura Osnes:

"Changing the channel is not an option. I am sorry to report that the limp new production of Jim Jacobs and Warren Casey’s “Grease,” which opened last night at the Brooks Atkinson Theater, is not governed by the rules of audience control that applied to “Grease: You’re the One That I Want,” the reality TV show through which this revival cast its stars. The spectacle of all those bouncy, sunny young things self-consciously singing off-key, suggesting a karaoke night in Fort Lauderdale during spring break, was a sobering reminder of why the remote control exists."

I mean, the man is a genius.

Now, granted, I haven't seen the new production, so I can't really attest to the accuracy of his assertions, but still...

The man is a genius.

No comments: