Tuesday, May 15, 2007

American Idol Top 3 Performances Round 1

I'm posting this one live tonight, so bear with me...

First off, where's Clive Davis? Has his fight with Kelly (read Kelly Clarkson Addresses Album Label Issues) soured him on American Idol? After three years showing up at the Top 3 shows, no explanation, no nothing -- he's just not there, and all we get is "one song that the judges have chosen, one song the producers (!) have chosen, and the contestant's 'favorite' song." What does "favorite" song mean -- a song they have already sung in the competition? I've got a funny feeling that something strange is going on in Idol-ville.

Here we go...

Jordin Sparks - "Wishing on a Star"
I have such mixed feelings about this song choice for Jordin. On the one hand I think Simon is genius, because this is, quite likely, the kind of music Jordin will perform when she gets off the show. I mean, let's face it, there's not really a place in the market for straight-up ballads like "I Who Have Nothing" or "You'll Never Walk Alone" and this kind of music really suits Jordin's voice. She got to show off both finesse and some power. So, good job, Simon!

On the other hand, though, I think this was a terrible song choice for Jordin. It was too smooth, and not nearly showy enough for this stage in the competition. Even though she sang it well, it didn't have the thrills Jordin is capable of providing. Terrible job, Simon!

Ultimately, I think my true thoughts on the song choice lie somewhere in the middle. A great performance of a terrible American Idol song, but kudos if this is the kind of music you record later on. Got it?

Oh, and did Jordin and Simon get in a little fight at the end there? Could it be that the "chosen one" is losing her mojo with the judges?

Blake Lewis - "Roxanne"
You know, I think Blake will be a really great recording artist. His vocals are almost metallic, and that will sound great on CD. However, a singer with the chops to compete with Jordin and Melinda, he ain't. Stripped of his beatboxing, Blake was just so ordinary. I love Blake, but he showed his vocal limitations tonight. He's got his work cut out for him.

And what has happened to Blake's fashion sense? First there was the tuxedo-shirt-that-shall-not-be-mentioned, and now this ill-fitting vest that looks like it was rented from a tuxedo store down the road. I guess losing Chris from the competition really took a toll on him, fashion-wise. Get it together, Blake!

Melinda Doolittle - "I Believe in You and Me"
Leave it to Randy, "noted record producer," to pick the worst song of the bunch. Why, Randy, why? First of all, it played entirely to Melinda's weakness -- her inability to really cut loose. Second of all, he chose the one song that produced the first wobbly notes of the whole season from Melinda -- did I even hear a little crack in there?

And then, the judges went and overpraised the hell out of her. Are they asking for her to be eliminated? Are they?

I mean, Melinda pulled it off, and for 90% of the song she sounded absolutely fantastic, but it wasn' the unqualified triumph the judges made it out to be. I also take issue with Melinda's outfit, which made her appear especially neck-less during this performance. All in all, I expected better from Ms. Mindy Doo.

Click here to continue reading:
American Idol Top 3 Performance: Round 2

American Idol Top 3 Performances: Round 1
American Idol Top 3 Performances: Round 3

No comments: