Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Person of the Day: Melinda Doolittle



Idol Thoughts Person
of the Day is a new daily feature that identifies one person I am currently diggin'. This could be anyone -- it could be a singer, actor, politician or none of the above, but it will be someone who has done something noteworthy, someone I have fond memories of, or simply someone that I like and want to write about.

When I see the promos for tonight's finale of American Idol something seems a little bit off. Watching images of Jordin Sparks and Blake Lewis flash across the screen, it seems like the kids have been left alone at home, and I'm left with the question -- where's mama?

Of course by "mama" I mean Melinda Doolittle, whose absence will be deeply felt this evening, and for that reason she is today's Idol Thoughts Person of the Day.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about the Jordin/Blake sing-out this evening, but it just won't seem like the finale without Melinda there. From the moment she stepped foot in her first audition it seemed like a given that Melinda would be a finalist -- in fact, until she was eliminated last week, I never really conceptualized a finale without her in it. She was the class and the substance of this competition, giving it some heft when it seemed like Sanjaya's hair or Haley's legs would force it to lose credibility for good.

I'm not sure if a Jordin/Melinda finale would be any more competitive or entertaining than a Jordin/Blake finale, but I would be lying if I said it didn't feel a little empty without Ms. Mindy Doo there.

So, in honor of "Since You Been Gone," "My Funny Valentine," "I'm a Woman," "Home," "As Long As He Needs Me," "I've Got Rhythym," "Have a Nice Day," "Nutbush City Limits" and more, Melinda Doolittle is the Idol Thoughts Person of the Day. I'll miss you tonight, Melinda, but I look forward to seeing you on tomorrow's show, and for years and years to come.

Click here for more Idol Thoughts People of the Day

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very nice tribute indeed. To my mind, there is no contest now. Without Melinda in it, I don't even care.

Unknown said...

I'm with you Tim.

Anonymous said...

With Melinda out of the competition, I'm only looking forward to two things: Next January and AI7 and Melinda's first CD!

Anonymous said...

Tonight's show will not be the same without Melinda. I guess if all the people over 30 who watched Idol sent as many text messages as all the teeny boppers then she probably would be winning the competition rather than watching it on TV.

Gregory G.

Unknown said...

The producers of American Idol ought to be absolutely ashamed that they created a system that can be broken so easily. It is an absolute outrage that an incredible singer such as Melinda Doolittle could be made to lose a competition to Blake and Jordin. There is no comparison. Melinda IS the best. FOX should fix the system. It does not work. It is broken!! Prior to this season, because this very thing occurred a few years ago, I had stopped watching American Idol. (Hint::You can vote as many times as you want to. The public does not know talent. They always vote their flavor of the month) Nevertheless, I will be looking for Melinda's entrance into the recording world. I will not buy this season's American Idol music.

--Damon

Unknown said...

Well said, Gregory!!

Anonymous said...

Melinda's performance was sorely missed tonight. I'm looking forward to her first CD ... and her first awards.