Tuesday, May 15, 2007

American Idol Top 3 Performances: Round 3

Jordin Sparks - "I Who Have Nothing"
Loyal Idol Thoughts readers know that the first time Jordin sang this song ranked #1 on my list of best performances of the season so far. So, needless to say I was excited to see Jordin sing this again. And, once again, she worked it out vocally, even taking it up at one point where she hadn'tt last time ("the paiii--(up up up)---iiiiiin"). Far and away the vocal performance of the night for me so far.

If only she hadn't gone quite so far with the dramatics. We get it, you're alone, you have nothing -- we don't need it mimed out for us.

I love her, though.

Blake Lewis - "When I Get You Alone"
Wait a second -- they had the option of choosing a new song and Jordin went with one she has already done before? What was she thinking? It just seems lazy. No matter how good or bad Blake does now, he's bound to be a step ahead of her. Bad move, Jordin.

As it turns out, maybe Blake would have been better singing "Time of the Seasons" or "You Give Love a Bad Name" instead of the dreck he chose. The song was unfamiliar, and not entirely pleasant to listen to. Blake didn't perform it badly, and the beatbox ending was cool, but it just wasn't the best taste to leave in people's mouths. Not great.

I'm surprised at Simon's fondness for Blake's performance -- could it possibly be the "damn him with faint praise" approach? I mean, I love Blake's originality as much as the next person, but this isn't the performance I would have chosen to declare it after.

The beatboxin' with Sir Mix a Lot probably earned him a few votes, though. "I Like Big Butts," anyone?

Melinda Doolittle - "I'm a Woman"
Melinda too? What is going on here? Why did the girls retread songs, while Blake sang a new one? And why is nobody explaining this? It makes absolutely no sense to me why they wouldn't perform a new song if they had the option.

WAIT. STOP THE PRESSES.

Melinda just forgot her words. Wow, what a time to make your first flubs of the competition. I don't think anyone saw that coming. Wow, wow, wow.

In a way, it kinda humanizes her.

She recovered nicely, but, as much as I loved this performance the first time around, this one felt like she was going through the motions a bit. Her voice was great, but she was hardly portraying the capable "w-o-m-a-n" she was singing about. Hopefully her first two performances will be enough to get her through.

OVERALL
What a weird night -- some absolutely fantastic performances (Jordin's "I Who Have Nothing," Melinda's "Nutbush City Limits," Blake's "This Love), some excellent but slightly problematic showings (Jordin's "Wishing on a Star" and "She Works Hard For Her Money," Melinda's "I Believe in You and Me," Blake's "Roxanne") and some not-so-good efforts (Melinda's "Woman," Blake's "When I Get You Alone.")

Based on vocals alone, I'd say Blake will be the one to go, but as we all know, this show is never all about vocals. And will it effect voting that Blake chose to learn a new song when the two girls didn't? Will Melinda's flub cost her, or endear her? And has Jordin simply gotten too cocky?

Right now I think Melinda will find herself with a Top 2 berth, while Jordin and Blake will be duking it out for the final spot in the finals, but I reserve the right to change my mind on that. Check back at about 12 noon for my final prediction as to who will go.

American Idol Top 3 Performances: Round 1
American Idol Top 3 Performance: Round 2
American Idol Top 3 Performanes: Round 3

No comments: