Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Kelly Clarkson Addresses Record Label Issues

In a new interview with MTV Radio, Kelly Clarkson addresses the rumors that she has fought with Clive Davis and her record label over her upcoming CD, "My December."

In the interview, Kelly discusses her desire to continue evolving as an artist, a desire her label, apparently, would be more than happy to thwart. She tells MTV, "Everybody always wants me to go in different directions. Obviously they're a record label so they need to sell records.They want the formula writers and the formula producers that do everybody else's stuff, and while I love some of those people... and I don't mind working with that...I just don't like working with someone that gives you a song and is like, 'Oh, I wrote this for you.' But you find out that they've given it to every other artist and they turned it down, you know?"

She continued, "My label literally sent me a Lindsay Lohan track from her last album and wanted me to record it for my new album. And while I like Lindsay Lohan, like I'm cool with her and I think she sings the song well... it's already been on an album. I don't care what pop star it is."

I, for one, am happy that Kelly won't be singing recycled tunes from the likes of Lindsay Lohan (!), but instead will provide us with music that comes directly from her. The result may not be as hook-y (or successful) as "Since U Been Gone," but, as far as I'm concerned, developing her own artistic voice is far more important in the long run than having a #1 hit single. (And who is to say, really, that the tunes on "My December" won't end up as successful as the ones on "Breakaway"? As of now, we've only heard one song, "Never Again," which debuted in the Top 10 on the Hot 100. Not too shabby.)

Click My December to show your support for Kelly and pre-order it now.

Click News on Former American Idol Contestants

No comments: