Tuesday, January 08, 2008

I'm Already Obsessed With Dance War!

The producers of Dance War: Bruno vs. Carrie Ann were banking on one thing: So You Think You Can Dance + American Idol = can't lose. And guess what...

They had me at hello.

Combining singing and dancing, with a little bit of the Dancing with the Stars personality on the side, the show was a feast for the eyes and ears. Let's be totally honest -- I'm hooked already. I mean, the set looked like the stage from the movie Girls Just Wanna Have Fun! (If you are not familiar with that 80's gem, run, do not walk, to the video store to rent the Sarah Jessica Parker/Helen Hunt dancing classic).

And lo and behold, there actually appeared to be some talent on this show! Sure, most of these kids wouldn't make it to the Hollywood round of either SYTYCD or Idol, but somehow possessing both singing and dancing skills makes them interesting. And the production numbers at the end of the show, while vaguely show-choir-ish, were actually pretty entertaining!

The first 90 minutes of the show had it's slow points, but I've never been a fan of the open call audition round anyways (read my post 'Is it Wrong that I'm Dreading the American Idol Auditions?'). Yes, I wish they had showed a bit more footage from the Hollywood intensive round to give us a better idea of what each contestant brings to the table. The "candid" conversations between Bruno and Carrie Ann were so staged they were almost painful to watch. And sure, I have absolutely no idea what the goal of this show is, or what the winner receives.

But who cares?? There's singing and dancing, and cute boys! Oh my!

Speaking of cute boys, I've got my eye on Zack, the doctor-turned-dancer with the dreamy smile. I'm also watchin' out for the dancing gospel singer, and the hoofer who brought his whole family with him to auditions. We'll see how they do.

Bring. It. On.

Click to visit Idol Thought's AMERICAN IDOL CENTRAL for show recaps and rankings, news on former contestants, best-of lists and much more

No comments: