Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Am I Wrong For Dreading the American Idol Audition Episodes?



During the third audition city on tonight's premiere of Dance Wars: Bruno vs. Carrie Ann, I had a moment of dread.

Us Idol fans are in for months of this.

American Idol is one of my very favorite shows on television, and I look forward to watching it every season. But those first few weeks have become torturous in the past few years. Even when there is a diamond in all of that rough, like Jordin Sparks or Melinda Doolittle this past season, they are totally outnumbered by the tone deaf and socially backwards, becoming almost irrelevant. It's gotten to the point that you can't even tell who is good or not until at the very earliest the Top 24.

I look back so fondly on the very first episode of season 1, which was just 90 minutes, and condensed all of the cities -- and it's genius. Picking and choosing the best of the worst auditions made for an incredibly inspired group, admittedly untainted by the show's later success. Sure, they missed the opportunity to air Kelly Clarkson's initial audition, but 8 of the top 10 were shown, along with such gems as Rose and Tameka. It was truly inspired.

And Simon was actually funny back then -- not just bored. He'll come up with some good one-liners, sure, but not enough to fill three weeks of audition episodes! It is kinda fun to watch and guess how sober Paula is each day, or even each part of each day. When in doubt, rate Paula's sobriety.

When it comes down to it, I'll watch these episodes, of course. God forbid I miss seeing the next Jordin or Melinda, even if I have to sit through all the "I'm even Hung-ier Than Will Hung"'s. Such is the life on an Idol devotee.

Read 'Where is American Idol Season Six' Breakout Star?'

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so NOT wrong! Every year I suffer through the auditions, just to get to the good stuff!