Thursday, January 10, 2008

What Impact Will The 'Donato Effect' Have on Big Brother 9?

It's only been four months since Dick Donato was named the champion of Big Brother 8, and as we gear up for the next installment of the ridiculously addictive reality show, a question arises...

What impact will the 'Donato Effect' have on Big Brother 9?

By the 'Donato Effect,' I am referring to the fact that Dick managed to take home the $500K prize by being downright nasty to his fellow houseguests. And by nasty, I mean naaaaaasty. He berated Amber about her former drug addiction; screamed at Jameka about her religion; gave Dustin a hard time about his sexuality; and said more crass things to Jen than I would care to recall. He smoked, spat, and ranted, and yet the other BB9 competitors still gave him the money in the end.

Strategy is part of Big Brother -- always has been, always will be. While there is always a contingent that claims to be "playing the game honestly," some former contestants, like Dr. Will Kirby, have gained infamy by lying and manipulating their way through the game. Dick, however, was the first to successfully adopt a "strategy" (if you could call it that), from beginning-to-end, of just being as nasty and unlikable as he could be. And, to his credit, it worked. After all, he did win.

While Dick had the added benefit of having his daughter Daniele there to deflect, at least in part, from the wrath the other players felt for him, presumably this year's contestants won't have the same luxury. Is CBS nervous that after last summer's controversies (Dick's rants, Amber's anti-semitic comments) that they are in for more trouble? Will this season's houseguests have taken notice of Dick's success, and adopt his "strategy" as well? If so, will the other houseguests put up with it, or will they nip it in the bud to avoid another Dick-esque win?

Only time will tell!

More Big Brother


Watch Big Brother 8 24/7 on SuperPass


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what effect it would have, I thought playing Donato was like when you are supposed to leave the first couple of weeks and end up winning the whole thing. It just makes me sick to hear he won because of the America's player twist, we need more nice conservative people winning, but not too conservative.

bb9insider said...

I don't know either but I'm anxious to see!

Ms. Miscellaneous said...

I think Dick's strategy was great! There's no rule in BB that you can't be mean and in fact, it was nice to see someone in such a rare, raw form and it's not his fault the other hg's were stupid enough to leave him in the game, and it's not his fault America, or the majority of American voters loved him for it.

Anonymous said...

I guess we will see what happens. I doubt anyone will try to be like him because no one really is. It was just his whole persona, not just that he was mean. He played hard, and I like the fact that he was just honest. He didn't stab everyone in the back, and he called everyone else out on their lies as well. I think others should adopt a little bit at least of his gameplay if they can.

Anonymous said...

I think Dick got away with whatever Big Brother allowed him to. My 12 year old nephew was not allowed to watch that show when he started screaming and cursing at his younger brother and talking about how "honesty is the best policy....just ask Evil Dick". So for everyone who thinks Evil Dick is this big hero, good for you....I have to disagree. I would have much rather seen Jessica or Jamika win.

Anonymous said...

I think Dick got away with whatever Big Brother allowed him to. My 12 year old nephew was not allowed to watch that show when he started screaming and cursing at his younger brother and talking about how "honesty is the best policy....just ask Evil Dick". So for everyone who thinks Evil Dick is this big hero, good for you....I have to disagree. I would have much rather seen Jessica or Jamika win.

Anonymous said...

All I have to say is this ,If big brother is anything like the last one my wife and I will not be watching it.I thought big brother 8 was discusting and I also think that it was all fixed ..from beginning to end.

Ms. Miscellaneous said...

Anonymous, how will you know unless you watch? And what in God's name does 'discusting' mean?

Anonymous said...

I have always loved BB until last year. I couldn't stand Dick's yelling especially at Jen. It was not pleasant at all to watch. If it happens again this year, I will do what I did last year...turn the station. This year, lucky me, American Idol is on.

Anonymous said...

Oh please, I'm so sick of people whinning over Dick winning. I was sick of seeing people like Maggie win who did absolutely NOTHING to deserve it! At least Dick played the game, and like it or not he played to win!

Anonymous said...

Maggie surrounded herself with an army of sheep and had them do her dirty work for her which deflected attention from herself. Her alliance controlled the game for most of season six. I know she was wildly unpopular and deservably so but give her some credit. She played a great game.

Anonymous said...

So it was SO BAD for Dick to be the way he was, but perfectly okay for Eric, Dustin, Jessica, Jameka in the hot tub to accuse and talk about how Dick was a child molester and how he and Danielle probably slept together. Now that's sick. That is truly sick!