Thursday, January 17, 2008

Ranking Idol: Dallas' Five Best Auditions



Let's be honest -- even though I hate the bad auditions on American Idol, the star of the show during the Dallas portion of the process was clearly the guy in the silver fedora and feathers that crooned "We Are Brothers Forever" with unadulterated abandon. I mean, the guy is a lyrical genius.

Overall, however, it was a pretty uninspiring night of hopefuls, with even tonight's batch of talented contestants possessing a same-same quality to them. I mean, if I saw one more Carrie Underwood wannabe come through the door, I thought I was going to scream!

Having said that, here are my choices for Dallas' Top 5 auditions:

1. Colton Swon
If Bucky Covington and Josh Gracin can get country music careers out of Idol, there doesn't seem to be any reason Colton won't be successful. Belting out Little Big Town's "Boondocks," he has a natural talent that could take him far. Now he's just gotta figure out how to stand in one place while he sings!

2. Kady Malloy
I was more impressed with her Britney impression than with her "Unchained Melody," but this girl definitely showed glimpses of potential, along with a very nice tone to her voice. She didn't high-belt, however, which makes me a bit nervous. 'Cause really, if you can't high-belt, what use do I have for you?

3. Brandon Green
That bag of nail clippings is one of the most disgusting and disturbing things I have ever seen, but I have to admit this guy sounded pretty awesome singing "Rich Girl." But why, oh why, did he have to give us that visual image?

4. Jessica Brown
This former meth-addict, who is amazed at how far she has come, gave a pretty strong rendition of "I'll Stand By You." Will she work her twang to her benefit, or will it pigeonhole her as "just another Carrie wannabe"?

5. Drew Poppelreiter
This corn fed farm boy certainly has the face to do well in the competition, but does he have the voice? Though charmed by his sweet looks and demeanor, I was less than impressed with his voice. I have a bad feeling that in about two months time he is going to be the cute boy who can't sing but keeps getting votes. Guess we'll see...

American Idol 7 Spoilers With Photos and Myspace Pages'

Read 'Ranking Idol: Philadelphia's Eight Best Auditions'

Read 'Ten Best Initial American Idol Auditions of All Time'

Read 'Am I Wrong For Dreading the American Idol Audition Episodes?'

Read 'Daughtry Passes Underwood on Album Sales Chart; Sparks Barely Hangs in Top 50'

Play IDOL MADNESS: THE GAME To Determine the Best Idol of All Time





No comments: