Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Dance War is Like "Open Call: The Musical"

About halfway through tonight's episode of Dance War: Bruno vs. Carrie Ann, my significant other said aloud, "This show is like 'Open Call: The Musical."

It's sooooooooo true.

Tonight, 14 kids who don't sing well enough to be on American Idol or dance well enough to be on So You Think You Can Dance performed their hearts out, belting high notes and shaking their asses to choreography that was about a half step away from jazz hands.

And I loved every second of it -- mostly because it's like a reality TV version of A Chorus Line. Some were stars; others faded into the background. Just like the show. "What I did for loooooooooooove."

Come to think of it, it's probably the most Broadway-esque reality show I've ever seen, and I include Grease: You're the One That I Want in that category. Both Idol and So You Think You Can Dance can make themselves semi-relevant by using current music. This show, however, is inherently theatrical, bordering on $camp -- just like (many) Broadway musicals themselves. In addition, requiring the contestants to be able to both sing and dance is no joke. Most show business professions don't ask you to be able to do both -- except Broadway chorus members, that is.

What does the winner on this show get? They haven't yet said. And the format is likely to change now that the constantly preening Carrie Ann and Bruno have picked teams. But to be honest -- I don't care what the cash prize is. I'm all caught up in Open Call: The Musical.

No comments: