Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Daughtry Blasts Idol -- Then Takes It Back!

Drama, drama, drama!

Chris Daughtry, the Season 5 fourth place finisher on American Idol and now a multiplatinum star, stepped into a pile of dung...and is now trying to crawl his way out!

Comments he made to Rolling Stone magazine, in which he expressed doubt as to the credibility and longevity of the show, were published on the web this morning, and now Chris has made a blog posting on his official site to try to clear up any misunderstandings.

The quote from Rolling Stone is:

"I feel like [American Idol] it’s definitely lacking some credibility at this point. It’s in a state of decline and if they don’t do something about it, it’s probably not gonna last too much longer. I’m sure that’ll be used against me, but that’s the truth, you know? People get tired of seeing people that suck. It’s funny at first, but come on. They spend three weeks on people that can’t sing, and that’s what they’re banking it on. [They should] find some people that you can really invest in.”

And his damage-control post on his site:

" I'm, I'm, I'm, I'm…..Just being honest! Sorry!

It's so sad that when you're asked something and you answer honestly….you're made out to be the bad guy. Yes, I'm referring to the Rolling Stone post. The funny thing is, if you heard the whole conversation you would've heard all the good things I said about the show as well. Like for instance: How it's an amazing platform to launch a career….."If you take it seriously!!!!" Let's not forget I was a struggling artist for 11 years that never got any respect or notoriety so know that I'm eternally grateful for the opportunity that Idol gave me. And that's where my comments came from. It all started when the interviewer (who was great by the way) asked me where the "Idol stigma everyone talks about" comes from. Ya know….the reason people never take anyone from the show serious in the real world and why people say "oh they came from AI, they're not real artists." So, I answered that I don't feel that enough "artists" try out for the show because of how many people they focus on that are obviously there for comedic and entertainment value. And when you focus enough on people that aren't serious about it then it's hard for the audience to take you as an artist serious. And it's also hard as a potential contestant to think it's a good way to get seen because you're afraid of being made a joke of. I also said I think it's AWESOME that they are letting the contestants play their own instruments and that I feel that will show something in the contestants that people (the audience) never get to see….but that wasn't printed. My long winded point is this….I was never trying to "DISS" the show or "BITE THE HAND THAT FED ME" so to speak. I was simply giving my input on what I think would spice the show up a bit."

Come on, Chris -- I thought you were more of a renegade than that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So much for the REBEL ROCK GOD. Daughtry shows what a wimp he really is.