Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Ranking the Ladies of the Stage: Roberts, Moore, Danes and Garner



It can't be easy to go from the relatively cushy confines of film-and-television land to the demanding, 8-shows-a-week pressure of performing on Broadway. Just ask Julia Roberts, Julianne Moore, Claire Danes or Jennifer Garner!

I caught Jennifer Garner's last performance in Cyrano yesterday afternoon, in the company of a star-studded audience that included Ben Affleck, Tyne Daly, Victor Garber, Ron Rifkin and Dan Ackroyd. Everyone was cheering the former Alias star on, and the scene at the stagedoor was total madness.

But did she do a good job?

Well, I've seen all four film stars on stage now, and I'm ready to rank 'em. Here goes...

1. Claire Danes, Pygmalion
The former My So Called Life star had probably the most difficult task of any of the other ladies on this list -- making Eliza Doolittle work, accent and all. And, lo and behold, she pulled it off! She was tough, vulnerable, funny, and, above all, believable as the Cockney girl who makes good. I must admit, I was very impressed with her chops.
GRADE: A-

2. Julianne Moore, The Vertical Hour
The Far From Heaven actress certainly didn't embarrass herself, but what works for her onscreen (subtlety, nuance) didn't quite translate to the Broadway stage. It also didn't help that Bill Nighy was acting circles around her.
GRADE: B-

3. Jennifer Garner, Cyrano
Garner is gorgeous, no question, but her performance in this show left me a bit perplexed. Not because she was terrible -- she wasn't (despite a hard-to-place accent). I just couldn't figure out why she would have chosen to make her Broadway debut in this piece -- the character (Roxanne) is not particularly likable, and she didn't get to show off many of her skills beyond, well, looking gorgeous. I was underwhelmed.
GRADE: C+

4. Julia Roberts, Three Days of Rain
From the moment I first saw her in Mystic Pizza, I've been a huge Julia Roberts fan, which makes her failure to create any sort of compelling character in this Richard Greenberg play all the more disappointing. Where was the Pretty Woman charisma? This simultaneously uptight and limpid performances ranks as one of my most disappointing moments in the theater.
GRADE: C-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Part of the whole thing with Julianne was it really too a couple of viewings of the play to "get" Nadia and what she was doing with her.

As far as Bill, while I adore him, I saw the show 10 times from the 3rd preview to the closing performance and his performance showed no growth. All the rest ~ even the college kids ~ continued to grow their characters through the run, which I like better. It shows they actually put some thought into their characters as the play went on rather than resting on laurels.