Thursday, April 05, 2007

Top 9 Results - Gina's a Goner



For the second week in a row, an American Idol elimination has left me a little bit blue. Not devastated, not worthy of “I’m never watching this show again!” declarations, but just a little sad. Granted, I didn’t think Gina Glocksen was going to win this competition, or even be in serious contention for the title, but I did expect to enjoy several more weeks of her performances, especially after last week’s stunning “I’ll Stand By You.” Like Chris Sligh’s elimination, I’m not shocked to see Gina go this week (I predicted she would be in the Bottom 2 in my post Who’s Going Home Tonight?), but I really thought Haley's time on Idol had expired.

Yes, Haley Scarnato has foiled me again. I guess it’s time I start taking her more seriously, even if she was in the Bottom 2 tonight. She’s outlasted Stephanie, Chris Sligh, and now Gina, so clearly she’s got some legs, both literally and figuratively.

Of course now that I’ve said that she’ll be eliminated next week.

Phil Stacey, meanwhile, found himself in the Bottom 3 for the second week in a row, but was sent back to safety relatively early on. The judges don’t seem to have much love for Phil, but clearly he’s struck a chord with at least part of the audience.

As for the rest of the show, did the separation of the contestants into three groups make anyone else a little nervous? It seemed too obvious that Phil, Gina, and Haley were going to be the Bottom 3, that I became convinced we were going to see Melinda or Blake’s groups identified as the lowest votegetters. Luckily there was no repeat of the 3 diva disaster of ’04.

And how ‘bout that Michael Buble? Yes, he was a last minute replacement for an ailing Tony Bennett, but did it not seem like he was in on a joke that the rest of us weren’t in on? And that awkward joke about Antonella (which was so six weeks ago)? I guess I just don’t get him.

So Gina goes and Sanjaya stays, yet again. How will Mr. Malakar wear his hair during next week’s Latin theme? Will Melinda or LaKisha perform J-Lo’s “Waiting for Tonight”? Guess we’ll have to wait and see…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got two words for Sanjaya for Latin Week: CARMEN MIRANDA! Now that would be a fun show. Ay-yi-yi! :-)

Unknown said...

The only reason Gina was voted off was because she was a serious threat to Lakisha and Melinda. Jordin as good as she is is no threat to them but Gina was. I predict Jordin or Haley will go next week. Most likely Haley.