Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Top 8 Performances: LaKisha Jones

Why am I not surprised that LaKisha chose to sing "Conga"? Be it "And I Am Telling You," "Midnight Train to Georgia," "I Have Nothing," or "God Bless the Child," LaKisha has consistently picked songs that have previously been performed on the show, and while I don't think this is a conscious choice on the part of Ms. Jones, it does diminish some of her originality in the eyes of longtime viewers ofthe show.

Having said that, if she had come out and blown the roof off of the place like she did with "And I..." and "God Bless..." I wouldn't care that I've seen this song perfomed in seasons past. As is, however, she gave a merely competent performance of the tongue-twister of a song. Yes, she looked "lovely" (in the words of Paula), she shook her groove thing and she hit one big note toward the end, but ultimately it was a pretty forgettable performance.

I'm actually a bit nervous for my girl Kiki tomorrow night.

GRADE: B


1. Blake Lewis
2. Chris Richardson
3. Jordin Sparks
4. Phil
5. LaKisha Jones
6. Melinda Doolittle
7. Sanjaya Malakar
8. Haley

No comments: