Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Ladies and the Tramp: Top 9 Performance Recap



A few notes about tonight’s show before I get to the Top 9 Performances:

1. Tony Bennett – great guest coach. He gave some constructive criticism and didn’t look embarrassed to be there. Take notes, Gwen Stefani.

2. Um, Simon’s shirt was cut way too low for my liking. I don’t need to see that.

3. Kelly Clarkson is coming back to Idol! Yay!

Okay, on to the performances –
(Click on any contestant’s name for more detailed commentary)

In seasons past, having to sing standards has brought out surprisingly strong performances from contestants, and there have even been a few Idol classics to come from the genre (Kelly Clarkson’s “Stuff Like That There”, Katharine McPhee’s “Come Rain or Come Shine”). This season was no exception, as almost every contestant really stepped up to the challenge and delivered the goods on songs that were written decades before they were born. There was hardly a dud in the bunch, and shockingly (shockingly!) that includes the infamous Mr. Malakar. (More on him in a bit – but, he cut his hair! Has Samson-jaya lost his power?)

It was the girls, however, who definitely brought their A-games into the Top 9, in my opinion collectively far outshining the boys. Melinda Doolittle was the first lady to take the stage, and she gave a playful, sassy performance of “I’ve Got Rythym” (and looked great doing it). She also revealed to America that she does, in fact, have a neck! Baby steps, Melinda, baby steps.

LaKisha closed the show with a soulful rendition of “Stormy Weather” that was exactly what we’ve come to expect from LaKisha – powerfully sung and emoted. The problem may be, though, that she’s becoming a bit predictable in her excellence, and she doesn’t have quite the spark of Melinda or her other nearest competitor…

Jordin Sparks, who proved once again that she is a real contender for the title by giving an infectiously bouncy, appropriately crystal clear vocal performance of “On a Clear Day.” Every week Jordin grows on me, and her voice never fails to impress – in fact, she hits notes each week I didn’t know she could hit. Melinda and LaKisha definitely have some serious competition in this young’en.

Gina Glocksen followed up last week’s fantastic performance with another strong effort, but the song, “Smile,” didn’t quite take off the way I kept hoping it would. Haley Scarnato, meanwhile, appeared as though she might actually start removing some of her clothing as she performed “Ain’t Misbehavin’”. It was actually her strongest vocal of the competition, but I was so distracted by her stripper-esque movements and very short skirt that I forgot to listen!

As for the boys, Phil Stacey, surprisingly, was actually tops in my book, with an effortlessly well-sung version of “Day and Night.” I was shocked at how much I enjoyed it! I thought Blake Lewis was pretty entertaining prancing around the stage singing “Mac the Knife,” and I was glad that he showed that he could really belt it out toward the end, but it felt a bit muddy to me – not his best.

Chris Richardson, meanwhile, who I love (I have his picture in my locker at school…or I would, at least, if I went to school…and had a locker…well, you know what I mean), I thought was vastly overrated by the judges. I thought he was good, but I’m still having trouble figuring out who he is as a performer, aside from a Justin Timberlake clone. (I still love you, though, Chris…call me!) The last time I felt Chris was overrated by the judges he ended up in the Bottom 2 – is that his fate again?

And then there’s Sanjaya. I’m gonna come out and say it – I didn’t hate the kid tonight. I was prepared to, I really was, but he was actually halfway decent. In fact, I’m not sure his performance tonight was any worse than anything John Stevens put on the stage.

What does this mean? Am I a Sanjayahead now? (The answer to that is no. No. No. No.) I’m actually hoping that the Sanjaya supporters will not flood the phone lines for their boy since he wasn’t the mockery he has been the past few weeks. Well, I can hope at least, right?

So there you have it, I’m thinking the Bottom 3 will be made up of some combination of Chris, Haley, Gina, Sanjaya, and, even though I quite liked him tonight, Phil. Check back tomorrow at around 1PM for my prediction on who will be going home.

My rankings (click on any contestants name for more detailed commentary)
1. Jordin Sparks
2. Melinda Doolittle
3. LaKisha Jones
4. Phil Stacey
5. Blake Lewis
6. Gina Glocksen
7. Chris Richardson
8. Haley Scarnato
9. Sanjaya Malakar

1 comment:

Unknown said...

does anyone remember Reuben Studdard singing "Smile, and how, as he sang he kept building and building to this absolute climax of joy and hope? and how can you NOT compare Gina's totally lackluster performance to his and NOT find it absymally lacking??