Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Okay, I Admit It -- I Loved The Singing Bee!


When I was reading about The Singing Bee last week, my eyes rolled back instinctively in my head. While I am an unabashed lover of reality television, I've never really gotten into the primetime gameshows. If the show doesn't feature people who are talented in some way (Ido, So You Think You Can Dance, Top Model), or who are participating in some sort of social experiment (Survivor, Big Brother), I'm not interested. Yes, I realize shows like Deal or No Deal, 1 vs. 100, and Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader? are big hits, but they've never been even remotely appealing to me.

But what do ya know -- I loved The Singing Bee! And apparently I wasn't alone -- the show brought in nearly 14 million viewers last night!

A cross between Wheel of Fortune, The Price is Right, and American Idol, the show requires its contestants to fill in the lyrics, word-for-word, to well-known songs. Who knew that would be so entertaining? I was in my apartment, singing on the top of my lungs, congratulating myself when I got the lyrics correct, and figuratively beating myself up when I screwed them up. Joey Fatone was a high energy hoot as the host, and the contestants were totally game and easy to root for. All in all, the show had me smiling from ear-to-ear.

I mean, the show wasn't perfect -- the dancers seem a bit unneccesary, and the process of selecting the contestants seemed a bit arbitrary. But, all in all, it was a pretty damn entertaining half-hour, and I'll definitely be tuning in again next week. Heck, I may even check out Fox's Don't Forget the Lyrics tonight. What can I say, I'm on the game show bandwagon!

Click for more Television News/Commentary

No comments: