Thursday, February 07, 2008

Wacky Judges and the Best Male Voice of the Season on American Idol's "Best of the Rest"

SPOILER: Top 24 Finalists Revealed!

Yippeeeeeeeeee!!

That's the sound of glee that escaped from my mouth the minute last night's American Idol ended. No more bad auditions!!

Yes, the beginning of Hollywood week marks the beginning of what Idol purists (like myself) consider the real start of the competition. Of course, due to the spoiler list that was leaked, the surprise of who will make it and who will not is not as present this year -- still, there's much more fun to be had in Hollywood than there is with a costumed Santa in Dallas. I'm just saying.

As for last night's episode, labeled "the best of the rest," we did get some glimpses of real talent, along with, of course, more annoying people and wacky judges behavior. Simon can't pronounce people's names -- it's crazy! I do have to admit, though, that his reaction to Alicia Stelzl's performance of "Islands in the Stream," after having been given a second chance by Paula and Randy ("I hate to admit it, but you were right!") was pretty classic. In fact, next to the guy who sang "Go Down Moses," it may have been the funniest moment so far this season.)

While Cardin McKinney is so musical theater, and Amy Davis is nothin' special, plus-size model Joanne Borgella is gorgeous, totally charming and has a sick voice, and the presence to match. Mandisa and LaKisha have spoiled us -- we gotta have a big black girl in the finals!

Chikeze Eze may have the best male voice I've heard this season. Yeah, I said it. His version of "All The Woman I Need" was flawless! While the judges seemed less than enthused, I was blown away by this guy.

And what to make of Danny Noriega? His voice is fierce, and there was something endearing about his desire to overcome his meltdown from last year. I also love that he's "trying to be myself this year." Is that his way of saying he's gay? (It did appear to be his boyfriend who accompanied him to the audition). Perhaps I'm being presumptuous, but I think it'd be awesome to have an openly gay contestant on the show.

So, that's it for the Season 7 audition tour. See ya in Hollywood!

SPOILER: Top 24 Finalists Revealed!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am very excited for Hollywood, as being a purist, much like yourself, it definitely IS the real start of the competition. I haven't crumbled under the pressure to look at the spoilers yet! It's all a surprise for me, but I do have a good feeling about a few singers!