Friday, February 22, 2008

Schizophrenic Survivor: Fans vs. Favorites Sends Yau-Man Packin'

No doubt, this season of Survivor: Fans vs. Favorites has been entertaining. The problem is, I feel like I'm watching a show with multiple personality disorder!

At times, I'm watching a show with old favorites -- hey look, it's James! Awwww, Cirie made a funny! But then, suddenly, I'm watching a show where I don't recognize half of the people. What's going on here?

Clearly the airtime of this season was going to weigh in the favor of, well, the favorites -- the audience knows and wants to see them. But aside from Joel, Cathy, Mikey (I think) and Chet, I couldn't name another fan. Oh, Tracy -- there's one more. I'd like to know these people -- I'm just not being told anything about them. It's an odd thing for a Survivor fan -- I'm used to rooting for the underdog, and now I'm rooting for the titular "favorites." But, seriously, how can I not? They are much more dramatic and interesting!

Speaking of the faves, they eliminated Yau-Man tonight, thanks to Cirie commandeering the game. It's too bad he's been eliminated so early -- he really didn't get the chance to show off his charming quirkiness this season as much as he did the last time he was on the show. The logic for his elimination is slightly shady -- apparently, as Jonathan Penner said, "he's either the weak link or the biggest threat, I'm not sure which." Bottom line -- the foursome needed to vote with Cirie or risk losing one of their own, and Yau-Man took the hit.

Cirie's power play was slightly out of character for the hysterical "couch potato," and, if I'm being honest, was ill-advised at this point in the game. She's still going to be the low man on the totem pole of the Ozzy/Amanda/James/Parvati alliance, but now she's made a power play and created a stink when a stink wasn't necessary. Why the two alliances didn't turn to each other and say "Let's just vote off Cirie" is beyond me.

Ultimately, I'm glad they didn't -- I like Cirie, and it looks like she's determined to make her presence felt in the game this go round. I'm not sure she chose the sturdiest alliance to join, but I'm curious to see how things will turn out.


CLICK FOR MORE HEADLINES IN THESE IDOL THOUGHTS CATEGORIES:

AMERICAN IDOL
BIG BROTHER
DANCING WITH THE STARS
SURVIVOR
PROJECT RUNWAY / TOP MODEL

1 comment:

Livingsword said...

Hi;

Interesting article (I’m also blogging about Survivor)…

This season of Survivor has the potential for being the best. They have adapted it enough that it has lost some predictability but also kept enough of the better parts of the game to maintain its character.

Often there is a concentration upon those who are going to be gone soon and those who will make it to the end. Perhaps some Faves are currently going to be eliminated with the exception of some key players that may make it to the end. Which of course means in the next few episodes you would expect to see more of the Fans.

Another thing to consider is the fact that perhaps the Faves are much more interesting because their experience has helped them develop more complex strategies/relationships.

As the Fans lose we will see more of them, it always works that way…