Thursday, December 13, 2007

The Golden Globes Actually Got it Kinda Right!



Every year when the nominations are announced for the various award ceremonies, I get excited, and then disappointed. Year in, year out, it seems my faves are passed over in favor of shows that I couldn't care less about.

But...this year the Golden Globes actually got it kinda right!

I had said in a post last week that I was hoping for nods for Damages and Mad Men, and whaddaya know -- Damages grabbed nominations for Best Drama, Best Actress (Glenn Close), Best Supporting Actress (Rose Byrne) and Best Supporting Actor (Ted Danson). Yay! Similarly, Mad Men picked up nominations for Best Drama and Best Actor (Jon Hamm). Double yay!

Of course, Friday Night Lights was egregiously left off the list. No yay for that. Also no yay for the exclusions of Keri Russell (Waitress), Into the Wild or it's star Emile Hirsch.

I was glad to see Emmy winner Sally Field get a nomination for Brothers & Sisters, however; ditto for her B&S co-star Rachel Griffith. While I'm not a huge Pushing Daisies fan, it was nice to see that show and it's stars, Lee Pace and Anna Friel, get recognized. And I'm thrilled Christina Applegate was nominated for Samantha Who? Could she be any cuter on that show?

As for the movie nominations, there were no huge surprises, but I was happy to see Nikki Blonsky get nominated for Hairspray (I thought she was fantastic in the film). The Globes always go with the big stars, and this year is no exception -- Johnny Depp, Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts, Angelina Jolie, Jodie Foster, George Clooney, John Travolta and Denzel Washington were all recognized.

Should be a starry night!




No comments: