Friday, December 07, 2007

The End of Gizzie on Grey's Anatomy



RIP, Gizzie.

The much criticized coupling of Izzie and George on Grey's Anatomy came to an inauspicious end last night, as the two doctors realized they just don't have the kind of chemistry to make a relationship work.

Really, guys? We figured that out months ago.

I'm actually pleased with the way it was handled, though -- hopefully George and Izzie, so adorable as best friends for the first few seasons of the show, will be able to put this romantic escapade behind them and get back to the fun they used to have. If the scene's final image, of George, Izzie, Meredith, Christina and Lexie dancing around is any indication, it may just be possible.

Elsewhere in Grey's land, Meredith, once again, decided she's ready to take it to the next level with McDreamy. Is anyone else over this I-love-you/I'm-running-away/I-love-you game that Meredith and Derek are playing? Despite the overly precious surgery scene, culminating in a kiss between Derek and the suddenly prominent Rose (where did this woman come from?), I'm glad Derek seems to be trying to move on --I'm just not sure how much more I can take of this runaround that he and Meredith are doing.

I continue to be impressed with Chyler Leigh, meanwhile, who is making Lexie more complex than I had originally thought she was capable of being. Her recognition of the hospital's role in Seth Green's death was powerful, and her uttering of the line "I have no one" was truly heartbreaking. It was nice to see Lexie included in the end-of-episode dance party.

Justin Chambers is also doing nuanced, powerful work as Alex -- his scene with Ava/Rebecca, where he reminded her what it was she was seeking from him, was both disturbing and sexy. I'm not sure what direction Alex is heading in, but I'm eager to see what becomes of the ever-evolving doctor. It's also nice to see Dr. Hahn getting more three-dimensional, and I'm curious to see how her prickly relationship with Christina continues to play out. These two are much more alike than I think either of them wants to believe.

Finally, attention must be paid to Bailey. Ooh, girl, you are in trouble! Getting to play personal struggles more than she has in the past, Chandra Wilson continues to do stellar work week after week, and this time she got to give the best speech of the episode with half her face covered, and she still made it work!

Who knows when we'll get another episode of Grey's, thanks to the frustrating writers strike, but I'll be there, whenever it is, to see what happens next at the always-exciting Seattle Grace.



No comments: