Tuesday, December 04, 2007

The Amazing Race's Ron & Christina -- Love 'Em or Hate 'Em?

Contestants on reality shows tend to be pretty one dimensional -- they are likable, or they are not. Then why do I find myself so confused by my feelings for The Amazing Race's Ron and Christina?

Unlike Nathan and Jennifer (hate 'em!) or the Goths (love 'em!), I just can't figure out how to feel about the father/daughter team. Clearly they've got issues -- he does not know how to speak to his daughter, and she seems so bent on getting him to love her that she loses a bit of herself in the process. However, they are working through it -- or at least trying to. I love when Christina calls Ron on his borderline abusive behavior, and I love even more when Ron actually acknowledges that changes need to be made. Have they made much progress? It's hard to say -- for every step forward they take (talking about the need for change), they find themselves taking a step back (Ron chastising Christina while they made airline reservations in this week's episode).

Usually I hate the teams that fight -- hence, my extreme distaste for Nathan and Jennifer, who seem to actually be trying to come off as miserable as possible. But Ron and Christina's fighting is not emblematic of a romantic couple that shouldn't be together, but rather of a father and daughter who obviously have years of baggage hanging over their heads. When Christina declared that she knows it makes her father uncomfortable when she says "I love you," but she does it (repeatedly) anyways, I couldn't help but be touched -- she wants to be able to communicate with her father so badly. I guess I am rooting for them with the hopes that through the course of this race Ron will be able to see Christina for the bright, articulate, go-getter that she is.

So, go Ron & Christina...just don't beat my faves The Goths!!

No comments: