Monday, December 10, 2007

Contrasts in Teamwork on The Amazing Race, As Azaria and Hendekia are Eliminated



"I don't think that every team recognizes that the relationship between the partners is critical to winning the race. It's easier said than done."

Those words were spoken by Ron in tonight's episode of The Amazing Race. Ironic, really, since he has probably rivals Nathan for the title of "most abusive partner" on this year's race, but, hey, he has a point. There was a study in contrasts tonight when it comes to teamwork, as Nathan and Jennifer continued to berate each other, and, on the opposite end of the spectrum, TK and Rachel proved to be one of the most loving and supportive teams the show has ever seen. The Goths continue to be positive to each other and about the race, and despite Nicholas' frustration at his grandfather's methodical racing style, they do not raise their voices to each other.

But oh, Nathan and Jennifer. Could it be possible they are trying to come off as hateful, to gain the Jonathan/Victoria infamy card? As much as I would like to believe that is the case, they are way too convincing -- disturbingly so. It angers me that they came in 3rd place, despite their constant quarreling. How do teams that dislike each other so much do so well in this race?

Which leads us to Ron and Christina, who actually managed to get along with each other and work together, and were rewarded with a first place finish (and a catamaran!) As I wrote in my post "Ron and Christina: Love 'Em or Hate 'Em?," it's still hard for me to jump on board with them, but I'm glad they are getting a chance to work through some of their issues.

Of course, it was Azaria and Hendekia who were eliminated tonight, after landing last in Croatia. Despite his control issues, I was enjoying watching their sibling dynamic play out on the show -- there haven't been too many brother/sister teams on the show, and I am a member of a brother/sister pairing myself, so I was intrigued by their interactions with each other. Ah well, see ya later kids.



No comments: