Thursday, June 28, 2007

Summer TV Midterm Report Card

So, it's been about a month since the crowning of Jordin Sparks as the new American Idol signaled the end of the regular television season. Summer TV is always a mixed bag -- there are some unexpected gems, and also some high-profile stinkers. With that in mind, here's my midterm report on Summer TV.

Lovin' It

So You Think You Can Dance
Obviously. Love this show. Sometimes I think I love it even more than Idol (scandalous, I know). I haven't fallen for anyone quite as hard as I fell for Travis last season, but the overall talent pool is so deep that it's a blast to watch. Love, love, love it.

Rescue Me
There is nothing else like this show on television. Brutally funny, and then scarily moving, and then just scary, this show deals in extremes -- and I love it. If Denis Leary doesn't wind up with an Emmy nomination next month, something is seriously wrong with the television academy.

The Starter Wife
This show is the equivalent of a good beach read -- light, fluffy, and totally entertaining. Sure, it's a little ridiculous, but Debra Messing is luminous, and the hour flies by. How about making this into a weekly series next summer, USA?

The Closer
This show could so easily be CSI: Los Angeles, but Kyra Sedgwick totally saves it from the land of humdrum procedurals. She's brilliant! The cases this season so far have been strong, as well, particularly the season opener featuring Veronica Mars' Kyle Gassner. No wonder this show is breaking records -- it's freakin' good!

Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List
I'm not a huge fan of stand-up comedy, but this bitch makes me laugh and laugh and then laugh some more. She's hysterical! Last week's episode, in which Kathy's beloved father passed away, caught me off guard, but it handled the serious subject manner in a uniquely moving (and real) way. To be honest, I can't remember the last time I saw such honest emotion about the loss of a parent on any tv show. Just another dimension to the red-headed wonder.

Top Chef
The formula works -- and I'm hooked. The only thing wrong with this show is that I can't taste the food!

Good -- but not obsessed

Entourage
I love this show -- I love Vince, I love E, I love Ari...heck, I love them all. So why aren't I that into this season? The first episode's documentary feel was clever, but not particularly funny, and this past week's episode was also noticably missing in laughs. Here's hoping the boys get their mojo back soon.

Army Wives
Ok, this is a little white lie, because I am kind of obsessed with this show, I just don't think I should admit it. It's on Lifetime, people! But I'm three episodes in, now, and I can't stop watching. I'm lovin' Kim Delaney and the girl who plays Roxie, but I could do without Joan (the tortured soldier) and Catherine Bell (the victim of domestic abuse by her son). Still, I'm kinda hooked.

Making the Band 4
Watching Danity Kane's creation last season was pure pleasure -- so far, the boys are providing a little less excitement. But I trust P Diddy (and the fierce Lori Ann) to amp up the drama as the season goes on, so I'm stickin' with it.

Traveler
The premise is genius. The boys (especially the delectable Matthew Bomer) are gorgeous. So why aren't I obsessed? Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I know there is 0% chance of this show returning, making it a little hard to get invested. Still, watching cute boys run around is not a terrible way to spend an hour.

Still Watching and I Don't Know Why

On The Lot

This show had so much promise -- and is so painful to watch. What went wrong? Just about everything, quite frankly. The host is terrible, the judges are worthless, the contestants don't seem to have much talent, and the show is produced in an almost embarrasinly sloppy fashion. For some reason I'm still watching...but I don't know for how much longer.

Tivo'ed -- but haven't watched yet

John from Cincinnatti (the buzz is so bad, I'm not sure this one is gonna get watched)
The 4400 (I still have a couple of episodes from the end of last season to catch up on)
Heartland

Tivo'ed -- then deleted
(These are shows I had been looking forward to, but then lost interest in, and never got watched)

Pirate Master
The Flight of the Concords (watched the first episode -- just didn't get it)
Meadowlands
Armed & Dangerous

Still Looking Forward To...

Big Brother

Burn Notice

Hey Paula
Weeds
Saving Garce
Damages
Californication

Click for more Television News/Commentary, including my predictions for the Emmy nominations

No comments: