Friday, June 01, 2007

So You Think You Can Dance -- Atlanta Auditions

Compared to the four weeks of initial auditions on American Idol, the three episodes of the same thing on So You Think You Can Dance feels mercifully short. Next Wednesday it's time for Las Vegas already. Hallelujah!

Here's a rundown of the good, the bad, and the ugly from last night's auditions in Atlanta:

-Caitlin Cucchiara, who just turned 18 two weeks before her audition, is amazing. True, all of these lyrical dancers seem to blend together a bit at this stage in the competition, but Caitlin really stood out for me -- she seemed to really feel the music, and her technique was impeccable. Not only do I think this girl will make the Top 20, I'm going to go out on a limb right now and say she will be around for at least the Top 6. We'll see if I'm right.

-Tony Velez, who feels it is his responsibility to teach the viewers the difference between breakdancing and "b-boy'ing," is actually pretty darn good. I don't really understand why Nigel had to go and get all homophobic once Shane expressed how much he liked the kid, but then again, I don't really understand Nigel most of the time, so I shouldn't be too surprised. It was good to see Tony nail the choreography, too -- this kid could be a contender.

-Brandon Norris, who is the show's first ever clogger, won me over. I don't really know what clogging is supposed to look like, but he seemed pretty credible, so I'll go with it. I actually thought he had some pretty hot hip-hop-esque moves as well. It will be interesting to see how he does with other styles of dance.

-Bryan Gaynor, who suffers from severe scoliosis, gave a totally charming "robot" performance that the judges loved. Shane even offered him a part in the movie he is choreographing! I do have to say, however, it bugs me to no end when Nigel feels as though he has discovered a compelling audition -- he is so unsubtle, and patronizing, that it really irks me. Having said that, this kid was great, he seems like he's got a good head on his shoulders, and I'm glad he came out to audition.

-Myles Johnson is a former football quarterback and has disappointed his father by quitting football and becoming a dancer. Even though the backstory of "From Touchdowns to Pirouttes" was a bit heavy handed, there was something about it that felt authentic, and I totally fell for this kid. (Unsaid, of course, was whether the gender of his sexual partners changed when he changed from football to dance -- I'm guessing it did.) His solo was a bit amateur, but I'm glad the judges gave him a chance to do the choreography, and I'm glad he did enough to earn himself a trip to Vegas.

-Ashley Simpson, who has the misfortune (according to her) of sharing a name with the lypsynching pop-tart, seems to be a pretty good lyrical dancer. As I said, all those leaps and spins seem to blend together after a little while, so it'll be interesting to see if she stands out once she gets to Vegas.

I am choosing not to comment on Kippery Rigsby, and her "skreet" form of hip-hop. What is there really to say?

I am also choosing not to comment on cowboy Chris Garmon, who I actually kinda liked until he got all "scared of gays" with his anti-Brokeback Mountain comment. True, Nigel goaded him, but you are trying to be a dancer, dude -- you're gonna have to learn to embrace the gays. At least figuratively.

Next week...Vegas! Can't wait!

Click here to read more on So You Think You Can Dance

No comments: