Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Jordin Sparks Sells Less CD's Than Any Other Idol Champ

Here's a funny irony -- Jordin Sparks' debut CD got probably the best critical reception of any American Idol winner. However, she sold less copies in the first week than any of her fellow champions. Hmmmm.

Sparks sold about 121K copies of her new CD, good enough for the #9 spot on this week's album chart. That is two positions lower than Season 4 winner Carrie Underwood, who moved 137K copies of her sophomore disc. Daughtry, riding a wave from the American Music Awards (where the band took home three trophies), nearly doubled sales from the week before, selling 43K CD's.

Josh Groban's Christmas album crossed the 400K mark, which earned him the top spot on this week's chart. He is followed by Alicia Keys (336K), Now 26 (232K), The Eagles (216K), and the soundtrack to High School Musical 2 (190K).

Numbers according to Hits Daily Double

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I genuinely liked Jordin on AI, pretty much picked her as the winner from her first audition, and even have enjoyed listening to a promo download of 'Tattoo'. (Though it hasn't gotten nearly as many spins on my pod as Leona Lewis' Bleeding Love. I'm OBSESSED with that track.)

However, for some reason, I just had/have no intentions of buying Jordin's album. Perhaps something about Jordin makes it seem like she'll pull a Diana DeGarmo and put out absolutely generic music that could be sung by a number of other artists interchangably. Or perhaps there just hasn't been enough promo to get me hyped for the album. When I said last Spring that I felt greatly underwhelmed by the most recent season of Idol, I thought that as time went on I would grow to like it as much as the past seasons, but apparently my lack of interest proves this is not the case.

I've purchased the CDs by Katharine, Elliott, and Daughtry from last season, Carrie Underwood's latest disc, both of Tasia's discs, the lone release of RJ Helton back in 2004, and of course everything Kimberley Locke & Kelly Clarkson related, so I'm certainly the type of person to buy AI music.

Maybe a positive Idol thoughts review will be enough to get me to spring for Jordin's album...but until then, I think I'll just sit back not so surprised reading the articles discussing her lack of sales.

Anonymous said...

Not really a surprise.

Anonymous said...

I have purchased cd's by Kelly, Taylor, Kim L, Bo Bice, Kellie P., Daughtry, Carrie, Clay, and Bucky. I definately am an AI cd buyer. Jordin is a nice, talented girl but I never had any interest in purchasing her cd. She just doesn't stand out for me enough that I want to listen to her singing. That, coupled with what I felt was AI pushing her all season, I just lost interest. Her sales do not surprise me, I do wish her well.