Monday, November 12, 2007

I LOVE Brothers & Sisters

Slowly but surely, Brothers & Sisters has become from my favorite show on television. Yes, I love-love-love Friday Night Lights, and Grey's Anatomy still has my heart, but Brothers & Sisters is the most consistently well-written, beautifully acted, hilarious, moving show on TV. I'm obsessed.

And last night's episode was probably the best yet. Top-to-bottom, the episode was flawless. Some highlights:

-The whole handling of the intervention -- it was raw, it was painful, and it was real. Justin's nasty comments to his family reeked of authentic family dynamics, and Kitty's speech to Justin that finally got him to see the effect he was having on his family was incredible.

-The Saul/Kevin/Tommy dynamic, culminating in Saul's confession to Nora, and her pleading "Please don't go, Saul." Coming out is a complex process, especially for someone of Saul's age, and I'm glad the show is not presenting a trite portrait of his process, or how the process affects those around him. I'm getting chills just thinking about it. And with Tommy's affair, Balthazar Getty finally has something to do!

-The performances! My god! Dave Annable was better than he has ever been, giving a spot-on performance as an addict not interested in getting better, and then one going through withdrawl. Calista Flockhart was heartbreaking in her speech to Justin ("I'm bleeding and sore, and I'm here..."), while Ron Rifkin gave huge gravitas to his character's struggle. And then there is the genius that is Sally Field. Oh, Sally Field. Every time she opened her mouth in this episode, a tear fell down my cheek. This is hands down the best ensemble on television.

-That final scene, where Nora and Justin realized they need to make adjustments in their relationship if Justin is to become the man he is destined to be. The shot of them sitting by the pool? Oh man, I'm gonna cry again!

Can you tell I loved the show last night??

No comments: