Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The Musical Legally Blonde Scores Big Ratings on MTV

Omigod u guys! Did you catch MTV's broadcast of the Broadway musical Legally Blonde this past weekend? I did...and loved it!

Apparently, I wasn't the only one, as the ratings are in and it looks like a moderate hit. The following is from HitsDailyDouble.com:

"MTV’s broadcast of the Broadway show Legally Blonde the Musical on Saturday afternoon ranked #1 in its time period among persons 12-34 across all of television, even beating out broadcast. The highest-rated demo for the broadcast was in females 12-17 (3.89 rtg, +151% from the prior four weeks). It also scored a 1.15 persons 12-34 rating, up 31%. vs prior four weeks time period average. The special broadcast reached over 12.5 million total viewers, with over 6.9 million from the net’s persons 12-34 core."

I found the telecast ridiculously entertaining to watch -- I thought it had great production values that didn't just feel like they set up a video camera on a tripod, but also didn't go over-the-top with crazy camera cuts.

I had seen the show and enjoyed it in the theater back in April, but I fell in love with it even more watching it on TV. The story is charming, and the music, while not insta-classics, have a peppy, feel-good quality that make them easy to listen to. And the performances! Laura Bell Bundy just blows me away -- aside from Sutton Foster, I can't think of a single Broadway actress capable of dancing, singing and acting the way she does. She's the hardest working woman on Broadway! Christian Borle is effortlessly appealing as Emmitt, Orfeh is a hoot (and better than she was when I first saw the show) as Paulette, and Kate Shindle belts her face off as Vivian. I have to admit, I missed Leslie Kritzer as one of the Delta Nu girls, but all in all the cast is pretty flawless.

If you missed it, I believe MTV is re-running the airing this Friday. Check your local listings.

Click for This Week's Top 10 Posts

No comments: