Monday, October 01, 2007

TV Thoughts on Grey's Anatomy: Here We Are Again

I haven't had a chance to watch Private Practice yet (one week into the season and I'm already desperately behind!), but I did finally catch the Grey's Anatomy season premiere last night, and I'm left thinking...here we are again.

As Meredith pontificated at the end of the episode, sometimes the more things change, the more they stay the same. And while that is probably true in real life, it doesn't always make for super compelling television. Like, are we seriously watching Meredith and Derek dance around each other again? Seriously? I can't tell if they are broken up or together, and to be honest, I'm starting not to care.

Izzie and the deer? Katherine Heigl is a big movie star now and she just won an Emmy Award, people, and she's stuck with a subplot that has her "making the impossible come true"? Ugh, gag me.

And I'm not feeling all the new interns -- it just seems like a group of extras standing around. When Meredith, Izzie, Christina and company started as interns they were a compelling, interested, ambitious bunch. These people just stand there. I'm already over them.

That's not to say the episode didn't have it's moments. Among the highlights:

-Sandra Oh's brilliant reaction when Derek informed her Burke had left the hospital. This woman can do no wrong. And while having the accident victim's children weep over their Burke-lookalike father was a bit heavy handed, it did give Ms. Oh the chance to do some fine dramatic work, so I'll let it slide. And that moment with Alex at the end, where she admits "I miss Burke"? Heartbreaking.

-TR Knight, TR Knight, TR Knight! Hands down the best part of the episode for me was watching George grapple with being a completely different person in exactly the same position he was in a year ago. I teared up when George delivered the baby, and found my eyes misty again when Lexie (Chyler Leigh) boosted him up by repeating "on his very first day" as the other interns were in awe over his accomplishments. My gosh, I love TR.

-Speaking of Lexie, I thought this character was going to be DOA when she decided to introduce herself to Meredith in the ER, but she more than redeemed herself with her chats with George. I won't write her off just yet.

So, not the best Grey's episode ever, but not the total dud I'm hearing Private Practice was. Let's see what happens to the gang from Seattle Grace next week...

Click for more TV Reviews and Recaps

Click for This Week's Top 10 Posts

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh My God! You wrote my mind! I thought it was a really bad episode, and it was the season premiere. All my friends thought it was amazing, but they only watch 2 or 3 shows, unlike me who watches 21 TV Shows at the same time. Not including some other new shows im starting which i have bought the DVD's for. Sometimes i feel like doing a blog like yours.
PS: Some of the reviews were right about Private Practice, Kate Walsh is amazing, but the writing is very similar to Grey's Anatomy. It's like watching Grey's Anatomy with older and uglier characters. So far i only like Kate Walsh and the guy from Prison Break, (forgot his name). But they really need to speed things up, i keep looking at the clock thinking an hour passed but only 20 minutes past. It had its good and bad moments but i enjoyed watching it. I'm going to hang in there and watch at-least 5 more episodes and then decide if im a fan or a foe.