Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Who Am I -- I Love Samantha Who!

I am not a sitcom guy. Sure, I was all about Friends, and I loved, for a time, Will & Grace and Scrubs. And yes, I find The Office to be pretty genius. But, generally, a half hour comedy is not really my cup of tea.

But, somehow, I love the new ABC sitcom Samantha Who. Like the title character asks herself on a regular basis -- who am I??

My affection for the show starts with Christina Applegate, who is just about as adorable and charming as possible. I saw the artist formerly known as Kelly Bundy in Sweet Charity on Broadway a few years back, and, even though her singing and dancing was not spectacular, was completely won over by her pluck and stage presence. Here, she's funny, vulnerable, bitchy, sensitive -- everything you could possibly want in a leading lady. I fall a little more in love with her each week.

Then there is the supporting cast, each one more brilliant than the next. I've never been a fan of Jennifer Esposito -- I found her almost unwatchable on last year's short lived Related and totally grating on Rescue Me, but here she is absolutely hysterical. Hys-ter-i-cal.

Melissa McCarthy, who was always delightful as Sookie on Gilmore Girls, is equally as likable here, even if her character is borderline creepy. Her comic timing is so spot-on, she provides an excellent foil to Ms. Applegate. Barry Watson, too, has an understated presence that is totally genuine. He's put to better use here than he ever was on the lame-assed What About Brian?

And Jean Smart. I mean -- Jean Smart, people! After tearing through 24 a couple of seasons ago, it's a hoot to see her back in a full-out comedy, and she milks each joke for every laugh it's got. She's a comic genius.

The premise of the show is getting a bit old -- yes, we get it, she was a bitch, and now she's trying not to be. But with one of the best casts on TV, and one of it's most likable leading ladies, I'm gonna keep watching.

Who am I???

Click for more TV Recaps and Reviews

No comments: