Thursday, June 12, 2008

So You Think You Can Dance: Ranking the Top 20

POLL: Who was your favorite couple? Who's going home?

Top 20 Individual Rankings

Top 20 Videos

Considering how eagerly anticipated tonight's Top 20 So You Think You Can Dance was, I'd say it wasn't a bad show.

It also, unfortunately, wasn't a great show.

Don't get me wrong -- there was no clunker in the bunch. Almost all of the dancers appear to be very versatile, and none looked totally out of their element (a la last year's Cedric).

However, none of them were instant stand-outs. There was no Nick Lazarrini or Travis Wall or Benji Shwimmer in the house. True, Chelsie, Chelsea, Jason, Joshua, Kherington, Thayne and Twitch were all great, but none of them screamed "next winner of So You Think You Can Dance."

Not to be too much of a Debbie Downer, but I also really wasn't into a lot of the choreography. Mia Michaels can do no wrong for me, but what was that Mandy Moore concoction? Disappointing, considering I was really looking forward to seeing what Kourtni had to offer. And Raven and Jamie's hip-hop routine? Blah central. Unfortunately for them I wasn't able to tell if they were any good or not, and going first in the show will do them no favors tomorrow night. Also in the blah central zone are Susie and Marquis.

Getting back to the positive, I loved Chelsea and Thayne's cha cha (that girl is smokin!), Joshua and Katee's hip-hop (this guy's really got the goods), Kherington and Twitch's Broadway (she lit up that stage), Comfort and Chris' jive (this girl has personality in bucket-loads, though I'm not totally sold on him), and Chelsie and Mark's contemporary (though I wish she wasn't wearing that fluff ball of a dress). I was disappointed in William and Jessica (I thought training with Debbie Allen meant he'd be a bit more interesting to watch) and Gev and Courtney (I love the personality of these two -- too bad their spark didn't carry over to the dance floor).

Having said all that, here's how I'd rank the couples...check back tomorrow morning for my thoughts on who will end up going home.

1. Chelsea and Thayne
2. Joshua and Katee
3. Chelsie and Mark
4. Kherington and Twitch
5. Comfort and Chris
6. William and Jessica
7. Courtney and Gev
8. Kourtni and Mark
9. Raven and Jamie
10. Susie and Marquis

Top 20 Individual Rankings

Top 20 Videos

Agree? Disagree?

POLL: Who was your favorite couple? Who's going home?

No comments: