Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Quotes From Clay Aiken's "I'm Gay" Interview With People Magazine

People magazine has released some quotes from their cover story on Clay Aiken this week. In case you somehow missed it, Clay reveals in the story that he is gay.

Said Aiken: "It was the first decision I made as a father. I cannot raise a child to lie or to hide things. I wasn't raised that way, and I'm not going to raise a child to do that...[I hope my fans ] know that I've never intended to lie to anybody at all. ... But if they leave, I don't want them to leave hating me."

On coming out to his family: "The born-again Christian singer also reveals how he told his mother Faye he's gay four years ago. After dropping off his younger brother Brett, who was being deployed to Iraq, at Camp Lejeune, 'I started crying in the car,' Aiken remembers. 'It was dark. I was sitting there, thinking to myself. I don't know why I started thinking about it ... I just started bawling. She made me pull over the car and it just came out.' So what was his mom's reaction? 'She started crying. She was obviously somewhat stunned. But she was very supportive and very comforting.' Even now, Aiken admits, 'She still struggles with things quite a bit, but she's come a long way.'"

Said Aiken of his child: "I have no idea if he'll be gay or straight. It's not something I'll have anything to do with, or that he'll have anything to do with. It's already probably up inside the code there ... No matter what the situation you're in, if you're raised in a loving environment, that's the most important thing."

On his dating status: "I've got one man in my life right now and he's crying and he needs formula! And if Jaymes continues to date, she will, but she's not going to date anyone who doesn't understand this is the dynamic."

On his faith: ""I still consider myself a born-again Christian, and I am absolutely comfortable with that, and comfortable with my salvation."

No comments: