Thursday, March 29, 2007

Top 10 Results: Chris Sligh'ds Out of the Competition



For the first time this season, an elimination made me a little sad.

Okay, that statement is not quite true, since Sabrina's ouster was technically the first to make my heart hurt a bit. But still, seeing Chris Sligh exit the competition before Haley and Sanjaya is just wrong. (And how charmingly heartbreaking was it to see him hug each of the contestants as he sang his final song?)

True, Chris was never my favorite contestant -- I thought he never really made good on the promise he showed in his initial audition, and he never figured out the right balanace of snarkiness and Idol spirit that was required to really make a dent in the competition. ButI definitely think he was capable of better performances, and I'm sorry he won't be around to give them.

And I must repeat the question I asked three weeks ago, when Sabrina was cut right before the top 12...

Who the heck is voting for Haley?

Sanjaya -- I get it. I mean, of course I don't actually get it, but there has been more than enough written questioning what his appeal might be that I fully expected him to be safe this week.

But Haley? Really? Who ever expected her to be around for the Top 9? I, for one, am very surprised, because as far as I'm concerned, she ain't no hollaback girl.

Alas, goodbye Chris.

Gwen Stefani showed significantly more spunk in her performance tonight with Akon than she did as a guest coach last night. I hope Jennifer Lopez and Jon Bon Jovi are able to contribute a little more to the proceedings than Ms. L.A.M.B. was. Tony Bennett I'm not too worried about -- I'm actually looking forward to next week's show.

But back to the Sanjaya spectacle for a moment. Did they really feel the need to perpetuate this totally unwarranted obsession with him by having Ryan come out with a faux-Sanjaya 'do at the top of the show tonight? I realize it was the watercooler moment of last night's show, but I'd much prefer they pretended the whole thing just wasn't happening. Perhaps that way we might (if it's possible) forget about Sanjaya, he can be voted off the show, and we never have to be subjected to him again.

Well, a guy can dream, can't he?

No comments: