Thursday, March 22, 2007

Idol Thoughts on Survivor 3/21


I'm not gonna lie, last night's episode of Survivor was a little difficult to watch, as it brought back every bad memory of ever getting picked on in high school. Poor Anthony! True, it does seem like the guy could have used some work on his social skills, and he was a bit whiny, but being put on a team of ripped, aggressive alpha males is every former high school dork's worst nightmare. And then they started calling him names! I thought he handled himself with dignity, even if he didn't come up with the most articulate response to Rocky's verbal attack on his character.

Speaking of Rocky, up until last night I thought I liked the guy. He was sort of like a poor man's Rob Mariano -- not quite as funny, quick, or manipulative as Boston Rob, but entertaining nonetheless. But last night he lost me, with his derogatory equation of effeminacy with weakness, his repeated use of "little girl" as an insult, and his schoolyard bully taunting of Anthony. I will not be sorry to see him go.

It was interesting to see them mix the tribes up, but in doing so I have lost a sense of who I am supposed to root for! I always pull for the underdog, so I was clearly cheering for the exhausted, undernourished Ravu tribe, but now that the Ravu members are split between the two teams I feel a bit lost. Since Moto has not been to tribal council even once, I feel like I don't really know the members of that team, although Alex seems like a good guy, and Stacy seems like a hard worker, if nothing else. When Lisi was the last player chosen for a team and got sent to Exile Island I had to take a moment and remind myself who she was!My favorites, though, are still former Ravu's Michelle, Earl, and Yau Min.

Next week's episode should be interesting, with Lisi returning to an all-male team. Will Rocky be sent packin? Here's hoping!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was really enjoying the bare-chested all male comraderie until tribal council. Rocky really left a sour taste in my mouth after his verbal and insensitive remarks. I am very disappointed in the other "bros" who sat there and did not say anything. The camera recorded their disapproval but when it came time to vote, they did not discharge the A-hole, but instead crudely upheld the soprano-mob like mentality.

Anonymous said...

Come on, that hardly happens where they change their minds on the spot. Like in Season 11 when Gary told everyone about Judd's lie ("The idol is on the ground!") so everyone saw what a prick Judd was, but they still got rid of Gary.